Alzheimer’s disease: The Symptoms, Facts and Prevention You Ought to Check Out
Alzheimer’s is a disease that mainly affects people after the age of 60 and showsrapid progress with time.According to the Alzheimer’s Association, most of the cases are diagnosed after 65,and there has been no solid treatment base for this disease. However, there are ways one can avert the tendency of this particular disease by taking necessary prevention before its onset. This includes the incorporation of the best foods for Alzheimer’s and following a healthy lifestyle.
A general overview of the disease
Many people must have heard about Alzheimer’s without having proper knowledge of what the disease is all about. Let’s have a look at these facts which will help you have a better insight.
- It is the most common form of Dementia which affects the normal functioning of the brain that results in memory loss and cognitive skills of a person.
- The other types of dementia are vascular dementia, dementia with Lewy bodies, Huntington’s disease, mixed disease, Parkinson’s disease.
- Women have a higher risk of Dementia as their brain shrinkage is more than men.
- Education and learning new things can lower the risk of this disease. This is because it will keep your brain active which wards away diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- It is an incurable disease that even leads to death.
Symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease
Everyone faces forgetfulness at some point in life. However, you must check all these symptoms that will distinguish it from this deadly disease.
- Memory loss that will affect your daily activities, for instance, you are missing out on your scheduled appointment.
- You are facing difficulties in problem-solving
- Having trouble with daily tasks such as operating your computer or microwave.
- Ask somebody if they see any personality or mood alterations in you.
- If you are being unsocial and withdrawing yourself from friends, family and relatives.
- If you are having trouble delivering speech and writing
What can you do to avoid Alzheimer’s?
As mentioned earlier, this disease has no specific set of treatment procedures, yet you can prevent the onset of this disease by
- Have healthy foods like berries, nuts, sea fishes, and other high protein and nutritious food.
- Learn new languages, activities, musical instruments, etc. to keep your brain active
- Engage with your friends, neighbours and relatives and participate in social activities. The more you mix with people, the lesser will be your tendency to get this disease.
- Earlier signs of this forgetfulness can be delayed by some particular medications such as donepezil (Aricept), or rivastigmine (Exelon). Moreover, your doctor can also recommend some other drugs that are related to depression, anxiety, or psychotics for the treatment of Alzheimer’s.
- Integrate brain activities like riddles, puzzles, and other cognitive exercises which can retain the normal functioning of the brain.
Hence, if you are experiencing episodes of forgetfulness, make sure to tick mark this list for keeping the disease at bay. Also, the best foods for Alzheimer’s prevention can also help you get rid of this disease as the old age sets in.